Sunday, June 26, 2016

DIY Fresh Peppermint Tea

Last year I planted mint and sweet basil in our outdoor garden. Generally I keep herbs indoors on a window ledge, but it seemed like fun to try those two outside.
Alas, the basil did not survive- but my mint is back this year and has FLOURISHED, nearly quadrupling in size.
A friend of mine was staying with us from Germany and suggested that we use this abundance of peppermint leaves for tea, since peppermint tea happens to be my favorite.
She said her parents had a rather large harvest one year, so they snipped the leaves off the plant and allowed them to dry in the sun. Afterwards they bottled them up and used them with an infuser to make tea for a solid year.
This seemed like a perfectly brilliant idea, and something to do toward the fall when they're likely to die off, but I wanted some fresh tea now!
I saw that you can use fresh leaves for mint tea and decided to give it a try.
It's obviously extraordinarily easy, so this will be a super short post.
Snip 5-6 leaves from the plant and give them a nice washing.
Throw them in the bottom of a mug, add boiling water and allow the leaves to steep for a few minutes. If you're feeling so inclined, you can tear them up first or use an infuser or a French Press. This worked well and was super easy. 
Enjoy!
Peppermint tea lattes are my FAVORITE in the fall, so I can't wait to try this then (with fresh or dried leaves) as well. I use almond milk, boil it and throw in the tea, but for dairy drinkers, it's probably even more delectable with real milk! 
I grew the peppermint mostly for using to freshen our home naturally, but if you have any great uses for fresh mint, I'd love to hear them!
All the best, and as always, thanks for reading!
All data and information provided on this site is for informational purposes only. Laviediy.blogspot.com makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading + responding to comments! Keep in mind that comments are moderated and spam will never be approved :)