Tuesday, February 2, 2016

DIY Attic Bathroom Update

I haven't done a very good job documenting what our old victorian home looked like when we first bought it,  and this bathroom is no exception.
We knew right out of the gate that it was already pretty much done for us- the clawfoot tub was all the showstopper we wanted or needed. So unlike our KITCHEN MAKEOVER, or even the MULTIPURPOSE office, guest and studio room, there wasn't much we needed to do.
And yet, it has taken over a year to "finish". Technically I still want to change out the flooring, but that will be a while.
This bathroom was at one point part of the attic. The wall was knocked out and drywall and shelving were installed. The plumbing was brought up from the bathroom below it. If you're going to turn an attic space into an ensuite, definitely try to make the plumbing easily accessible. Otherwise it may be much more expensive and better off as a closet.
 
While we love this room and it's full of natural light, as a (not at all professional photographer, not even close) amateur, the room is generally under or overexposed in pictures. So apologies in advance. We knew there were four big issues with the room as is.
First, the color wasn't so great, but that's true for nearly all houses when you move in. The entire house was actually painted in this sea foam green.
The
Entire
House.
Including stair railings.
I also didn't like the main lighting or this giant, clunky vanity. It has a genuine marble top and we felt it was a beautiful piece but it didn't match the bathroom. And it was way too big for us.
Lastly, this little vanity area needed help. The room is a modified attic with tons of storage space, but it's very short and the walls are angled so there isn't space for an actual mirror above the sink.
Right out of the gate we painted over the green using extra valspar paint from our living room. I'm a huge fan of valspar reserve- it really does generally only take one coat to cover up old paint. It was supposed to be a gray but turned out a bit more blue which was perfect for the bathroom.
In this picture the ceiling looks white, but it's the same blue-gray as the walls.

My grandparents have both passed on, but my grandma shared a love for birds with us. From her home, I have a beautiful collection of James Audubon books, and the cover of her favorite was this flamingo print.
To follow the pink bird theme, I added this shot of a gorgeous pink cockatoo from the Cincinnati zoo, but once it was actually on the wall it looked too dark for the room so eventually it will be switched out. Sorry little buddy.
This room has TONS of storage, mostly enclosed, with the exception of this shelving. Considering I lack folding skills, my sanity should be questioned for choosing the open shelving as linen storage. Most of our linens are white, and I wanted them easily accessible. Plus, I used the closed door shelving for our insanely printed beach towels (of which we have many) and other things that would have been even larger eye sores (hair tools, giant vats of nail polish, huge containers of pink french clay...). I have big plans for trying to make this area more beautiful to the eye (including learning how to fold), but for now here we are!
 The vanity area got a few additions to make it more user friendly. an IKEA spice rack, spray painted with metallic silver, holds makeup while I get ready so that I don't constantly have to open the medicine cabinet to get products out.
The scalloped box shelf was a find at a local vintage store.
And a sweet little flamingo from the Cincinnati zoo happily greets me while I dress, bringing remembrances of summer all year long. Yes and amen.
 This little target stool is the perfect height but doesn't quite match with it's gold legs. I've toyed with painting them silver using RUSTOLEUM's insanely effective $4 paint, but for now I carried the gold into the scalloped frame above.
One more shot of the vanity area. This corner is actually a lot happier in person, but was super hard to photograph without being caught in the mirror :) I should mention that the light above the mirror also has electrical hook up so that I can blow-dry  and curl as well. I have a special sleeve for hot tools that can rest on the rack while I'm doing my hair, but an oven mitt would work too.
My goal was to put a chandelier in this room, but I couldn't find any that were short enough. I spent an entire year searching with no luck. I ended up with a sparkling flush mount, which isn't quite the impact I wanted, but still is so much better than the previous lighting!
Lastly, in the end, I couldn't sell this behemoth and buy a new vanity like we had wanted. I put it on several sites, but no one wanted to come haul it away. The marble is gray, taupe and pink so I experimented with just painting the vanity and it worked in the end. Valspar Reserve paint to the rescue, once again! 1 pint was way more than enough to do the entire vanity, but it did need two coats. However, I didn't sand or prime the (very dark) piece at all prior to, so if you do sand (or have a lighter piece) then you may only need one coat.
The built ins above the vanity are much despised. I really hate the towel rack and toothbrush holder there. For starters, we use electric toothbrushes which are too big and know better than to keep them sitting on a counter (have you seen the bacteria stats? Ew.), and the towel rack is no better. It's an awkward size and just an eyesore. But removing them would mean retiling, and we aren't ready for that yet. I attempt to keep the toothbrush holder covered with a pretty little powder.
 In the end, it's a very simple and clean room which is our goal for most rooms. John especially likes simple lines and zero fuss in decor- which will be very obvious when I post about his studio. Since this was our master ensuite (and he let me add pink...) we tried to make this room uncomplicated and calm. In total, we put less than $150 into the bathroom making it our cheapest room yet- but it was also the easiest.
*UPDATE*
This month I made a series of errors that ended in our main bathroom (with the only shower!) being unusable for 9 days. We couldn't even get ready in there.  So this master bath became our only bath and after getting ready in this space for nine solid days, we made an excellent addition...
 

This awesome cart is from TARGET and is very similar to the super popular Raskog from IKEA. I got it on sale for $24.99 and spray painted it metallic silver, though I wish it were gold now to further tie in the gold chair legs on my vanity seat. It may be redone soon, since it's only a $3 fix :)

Now I keep everything on the cart. Everything.
Shampoo, soap, makeup, hot tools, essential oils, salts... I discovered that the rack wasn't enough for holding a hot straightener while getting ready at my vanity and the ledge on our bathtub was no match for slippery soap! This rolling cart has made getting ready such a breeze. If you would like it in a color that isn't metallic, I always recommend rustoleum ultra cover which comes in various shades.
If you have unused attic space, make it's time to turn that into a bathroom! You'd obviously spend a lot more money, but the space is actually perfect for a master ensuite - or maybe even a closet!
We still have to finish quite a few rooms in the house, and it takes forever, but it feels nice to (mostly) cross another off the list.
All the best, and as always, thanks for reading!

3 comments:

  1. Nice do-over. You might like a little shot of color, maybe inside the open shelves. It could even be changable if it was just pretty paper. also inside the back of the scalloped box.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks great!
    And I actually love the behemoth cabinet/sink stand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Katie! Always good to hear from you <3

      Delete

I love reading + responding to comments! Keep in mind that comments are moderated and spam will never be approved :)